View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Sounds like you have a stripped front drive shaft. The end going into the front differential is stripped.
If the OP's description is what I think it is, this is the only answer that makes sense to me. More testing will be needed to narrow it down, but this guess seems to be in the right direction.

On those cars, the whole drive system after the transmission is mechanical. The transfer case can be though of as acting just like an open differential. No need to worry about codes.

My interpretation of OP's description, and I'm filling in assumed details - please correct this if wrong:
With the engine on, transmission in drive: the car does not move.
With the engine on, transmission in drive, foot on the brake, looking under the car: car does not move. The driveshaft going forward, from the transfer case to the front differential is seen to be rotating. Nothing else is moving.

That is exactly what would happen if there is a problem downstream (forward/outward) of the front driveshaft.
If neither of the front CV axles is turning, then it is further narrowed to the input or output from the front differential.

Simple tests, if in doubt, would be to jack the car and spin one wheel at a time to see how other things are working.

Sponsored Links