View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 PM

aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhaverstock View Post
I created a short video of the noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhMKDTm-TEc
The only thing I hear in that video is a surge of wind noise and shakes from your unsteady hand.
The only thing I see in that video is a violently shaking road from your hand not holding the camera steady.

You're not testing the symptom correctly. You said it's a grinding under load. You lifted the truck and idled it at 25mph without any load.

Try repeating the test, get up to 25 mph, then load the brakes and throttle up the engine to increase as much load as you can without stalling so you get the noise. Have someone go under the truck with a mechanics stethoscope to determine if the issue is in the differential, transfer case or transmission. And drive shafts, center bearing.

Once you pin point the source of the noise, check fluid level. If it's low, you have a leak, and found a potential cause. You can try to fill it with new fluid to the right level, but it's unlikely to solve if the issue is damage on the gears. Next you need to remove and disassemble the component, and inspect the gearing and bearing for damage.

My opinion is that it's a damaged thrust bearing at the end of the the counter shaft or main shaft. When you load helical-cut gears, they create axial loads, so when the gearbox is loaded, you're getting bearing noise.

Quote:
A growling noise can be caused by bearings that are worn and badly damaged. Bearings can wear due to lube contamination.

Usually, bearing damage has occurred throughout the transmission, so growling can be an indication that a complete overhaul will be necessary.

Growling can also be caused by timing issues. If a weld cracks or a key breaks on the countershaft, a gear may shift slightly. This results in a tooth spacing error.
Here's a good resource once you get it apart.
https://www.rexnord.com/contentitems...108-010_manual

Sponsored Links