View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 02:22 PM

hammerdownineffect is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX5 View Post
Like you I had a problem with a slipping transmission, now 8 or 9 years back. I am curious about your approach to the problem. Why did you change the torque converter? I.e., what made you believe it was the source of the problem? Weres there any symptoms or diagnosis once you removed the torque converter that indicated a problem?

On the second attempt, did you change all the seals in the trans when you had it out? I had mine out at 93k miles and the seals were generally brittle and nasty. Something else maybe faulty if you didn't refresh them all. Did you clean out the valve body at the time?

Finally. did you check that solenoid A is functioning properly? IIRC it can accessed with trans in the car.

Although there are a lot of stories of bad batteries causing issues, your fault code is quite specific. Like you, I am inclined to think that once the car is running it should provide enough juice to run the systems, but a new battery wouldn't hurt.

It's kinda funny, I was just referencing one of your threads from 2012 last night hoping to find some answers for my issues.

Regarding your questions: The trans it out of an 02' X5 4.4 with about 145K miles

The reason I changed my torque converter (TC) was because of progressively worsening systems over the period of about a year. It started with a significant drop in fuel economy, then noticing there was no lock-up occurring in high gear, harsh 2-1 gear downshifts, then the car chattering (like going over a rumble strip) when leaving from a start and finally the trans going into fail-safe mode with a TC failure code. Fluid changes helped in the short term but the symptoms worsened over time. I researched this quite a bit before I dug into the trans and found that the pressure regulator commonly fails in this unit and can take out an internal seal in the TC.

The second time I pulled the trans I replaced only a few seals (A/B clutch drum, and 4 of the fiber rings) as well as a faulty axial bearing that was missing a roller (luckily I found the roller in the clutch drum so it's not hiding somewhere in the trans doing unspeakable damage). I rechecked my installation of the pressure regulator valve and everything appeared to be clean and in nice shape.

I only removed the half of the valve body with the pressure regulator. I have not touched the one with the solenoids. I did use INPA to perform a manual function test on the solenoids and they all passed. Is there a way for me to function test the valve body with the trans out of the car? It's currently sitting in my garage and I have no intention on reinstalling it until I'm quite certain I found the issue.

I agree with you about the battery. This car developed a slow voltage drain over years over ownership and I have yet to find why the car won't go to "sleep." Regardless, it's been known to kill a new battery within a year and there have been MANY times that I've had to jump start this car in the past. No matter how dead the battery has been, once the car is running I've never had transmission issues so I don't know why it would start now.

Thanks for your questions and insights!

Sponsored Links