View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 01:01 AM

crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX5 View Post
Sorry to hear about the troubles with the ZF. Are you going to pull it yourself?
I will be pulling it myself. I wish I could afford to pay someone to work on my cars. Or maybe not, the few times I've taken my cars places, it has not gone well. This is even a shop I used to work at in one instance. And I respect the owner and trust him 100%. Haha. No one takes care of your vehicle like you do. He was wondering why I didn't bring it back as they would have fixed the issue free under warranty. But I just couldn't do it. I even brought him back the failed part (installer error) for him to return under worldpac warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.8isX5 View Post
've done 75+ ZF trans jobs ranging from the 6hp19 and up. Sub 80K i use Liqui moly toptec 1800 fluid. Over 80K- they all get Redline D4. If you did your mech seals and valvebody, run this fluid.
My 4.8is tranny had issues 2x- first when i bought it to fix it @138k, and 2nd ~20k miles down the road. I don't drive the truck easy and right now at 173k it runs better then the first time i fixed it.

The redline runs a little thicker at temp and the higher mileage cars love it. It's fixed alot of X5's for people who were having minor to moderate issues with trans. My one daily 528xi has 220k OE tranny, and stage 3 XHP trans flash- runs like a bull.

Also- if this is your last ditch effort before swapping trans- do the following-

-Half bottle lucas trans additive
-Rest redline D4 fluid

That took care of 4 6hp's that were having moderate issues that were being pesky, including my own 4.8is.
Thanks for the input. The e61 got liqui moly 1800 @ 182000 and is awesome. Better shifting than before service.

The e70 got pentosin because it came as part of the pan service kit. Going to swap it out for the Valvoline stuff and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try the redline + Lucas additive. It's all easier than dropping the trans obviously.

2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)

Sponsored Links