View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 05:35 PM

e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
That's crazy the manual has such high ratio in 5th. What happens to your first and second gears? IAM pretty sure the point of the 3.91/4.10 was to help out the smaller engine in the low gears.

Now It makes much more sense to me though I thought 2600 was high for 75 indicated.
5th is direct (1:1), which is actually a stronger, more efficient setup compared to overdrive (I think the 6 spd overdrive is 0.83). 1st is crazy low at 5.09:1. With the 4.10 gears, 1st winds out incredibly fast, even in normal driving. I was always worried about being rear-ended after taking off quick and making that shift right away as I'm going up hill. People behind me don't expect that. I suppose that ratio's good when you're hitched to a 6,500 lb trailer (X5 manual max rating) to get it going without burning up your clutch. Or, maybe rock-crawling, too, since there's no 4wd-low setting in the transfer case like there is on, for instance, a 4runner.

The 4.10 gears are quite zippy around town but involve a lot of shifting as there isn't as much range in each gear. It's very strung out at highway speeds of over 70mph.

To me, the 3.64 gears are just about right for everything except maybe that 6500lb trailer. I've towed about 3-3500lbs since doing the gear swap and had no problem getting going at all.
Block Tester

Sponsored Links