View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 AM

PalmSpringsE534.6 is on a distinguished road
HELP! ABS module issue and Trans Failsafe

Hey everyone! I've "fed" my E53 lots of new parts lately and now it seems to want some more. I've got a quandary and I can't find any definitive info on this. Here goes.

The other day I got the trifecta lights and so I read the codes. Got a right front ABS sensor "open". I grabbed a new sensor and installed it and no go. I have to assume one of the wires must've broken in my ABS unit. I'll send it out to be repaired...BUT...here's the oddness.

I get up to just about 70mph and my trans goes into Failsafe and tosses a P0720 (output speed sensor) code. I'm happy to open the pan and change the sensor (pulse generator) but it started when the ABS issue cropped up.

Is there some correlation regarding the front sensor or the entire ABS unit that will cause the P0720 code and make my E53 go into limp mode? Any thoughts on further diagnostics? Is it possible to disable the ABS unit in the programming without killing my car? I was thinking about disabling the unit then taking it for a drive to see if it still goes into failsafe. BTW...I can reliably cause it to go into failsafe at about 70MPH....it's not at all random.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by PalmSpringsE534.6; 07-19-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsored Links