View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 02:07 PM

kuhllax24 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

I thought I'd give you an update.

After the tow of shame the car sat in the shop a few days until the BMW technician showed up to moonlight on the car. He suspected that I damaged the pins when I reinserted the harness connecting plug, so asked my permission to drop the transmission ($700). Giving the go ahead, he discovered that when I reinserted the plug back into the mechatronic sealing sleeve, I somehow pinched two pins together. This caused the system to short out. He was hopeful that I just blew a fuse, but unfortunately, I blew out the entire transmission computer/control unit. I don't know the exact name of the part and couldn't find it on RealOEM, so I'd be helpful if anyone helped me out.

Anyway, the cost to replace that computer with a new one and to program it is $1,400. So, I'm in $2,100 and will probably finish out at $3,000 in repair bills when this is all said-and-done (need to replace the harness too after I mangled the collar). I will note that I also have a misfire on cylinder 3 on account of not torquing a new spark plug perfectly that I'm going to have him fix, and I also changed out the valve-cover gasket and suspect I messed something up there as well. So, just the botch with the tranny-oil change will run me probably about $2,300.

This was an expensive lesson, and I'll summarize what I learned in my next post to save the next soul some headache. But ultimately, I don't know how I screwed this up so badly when there's a notch in the sleeve that you have to guide the harness connecting plug into, otherwise it won't go in. Obviously you guys weren't there to see how I made the mistake, but my wife was helping me and she still doesn't believe how I could do this either. But in essence, there was so little room to work with to guide the harness connector back in that I was already at a disadvantage.

Sponsored Links