View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 AM

Effduration is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlem View Post
Only 4 failed. Two came out with a screw extractor and two want to be difficult. I’m not drilling until I get the specs on the Big Serts.
I believe the Engineering data is on the Time-serts web site.
++ TIME-SERT Enginerring Data BIG-SERT ++

As for big-serts vs time-serts. I only use/ recommend Big-serts if when time-serts or some other insert failed.

We hear very few reports of time-serts failing when the car has not overheated after installation. I have never seen a properly installed time-sert fail from the correct head bolt tightening procedure, and I have installed 8 or 9 heads, each with 14 time-serted holes..

Big-serts, in addition to being larger, DO appear to have a slightly different anchoring
system. Like a time-sert, the big-sert has several bottom threads which are not fully formed, When installed, these now-fully-formed bottom threads expand the insert, locking it in place, like a time-sert. However, in addition the Big-sert has a pin that is pushed out during installation into the larger threaded hole, that also locks it in place and prevents the big-sert from being unthreaded.

As for always using Big-serts. You could do this, but I wouldn't:
- A regular time-sert almost always works if installed properly.
- I would rather have a smaller hole than a larger hole in this application with with coolant jackets and oil passages nearby
- Big-serts are 2x the price of time-serts (not a big deal)
- If a Big-sert fails, you don't have an easy-to-install next size larger solution.

Last edited by Effduration; 11-01-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Sponsored Links