View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 08:03 PM

Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bass View Post
We'll start off this round of the shenanigans on a positive note

For the last couple months I've been cleaning the headliner a little here and there. Yes, the last couple months.

I'm a little....particular let's call it, about the cleanliness of my vehicles and for anyone that's been following the progress here you might remember Swampy needed quite a bit of work. I managed to get everything to the point where if I dropped any food item on the bare carpet I wouldn't hesitate on picking it up and eating it but there was always a dark cloud hanging over my head.

Cleaning a carpet is easy. You get a bottle of some chemical with the skeleton hand on the label, pour it out on the carpet and go at it with a heavy duty brush attached to a drill or use a power washer.

Headliner and particularly old headliner is a bastard to clean. There needs to be a fine balancing act of moisture, but not too much moisture and agitation...but not too much. Delicate, tedious and overhead. My favorite!

I did some reading and found a number of people suggested a product called Folex for headliners in particular. I've never heard of before so I looked into it and it seems to be a general purpose fabric/carpet cleaner that was easily available to me, in a big bottle and cheap.

And so I began the process of spraying some Folex on a microfiber towel, rub rub rub, wipe off with a clean microfiber and wait for it to dry. I would spend about 10-15 minutes at a time before things would be too saturated for me to continue and I would go at it every few days.

A little bit too moist and the headliner would start to become detached from the foam and the same would happen if I rubbed too hard. At some point I realized that the back part that's sagging will definitely be more than enough reason for me to redo everything, but that's not going to happen until the weather gets better.

Also I was curious how clean I would be able to get this thing so lets have a look.

BEFORE

AFTER

It no longer looks like a pissed on mattress in an alleyway above my head
Wow! Nice work!

Sponsored Links