View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 02:50 AM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
I just fixed a very very similar problem on my client's e90.

I was getting cam over retarded errors, which usually means cam sensors. Replaced both and no change, but started to get a specific vanos related code for intake cam.

With 150k miles, would not be surpassing to need to replace the vanos solenoids, but didn't want to part canon just yet, so I took out both and cleaned and swapped when I put back in.

The error returned but stayed on intake cylinder.

My wife's e53 with m54 had a very similar set of vanos errors and I read can be oil filter related so I bought a new filter and holy crap the old one was toast! Clearly was done oil sneaking around the filter.

Wife's error cleared immediately so I did oil+ filter on client's N52 as well hoping for the best.

Bummer: no luck and now I'm getting misfires on cylinder one.

So I get a new code still related to vanos but was specific. I duck duck'd the code and found a YouTube video showing how the oil filter CAP can break where it will allow oil to bypass the filter.

Replaced the cap, problems all vaporized!

So: pull your cap: if the basket that goes into the filter media wiggles side to side it's shot!

Your symptoms sound extremely similar to my client's e90, and we both hope that's the problem!

Sponsored Links