Thread: Drunken E53
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 07:18 PM

Happy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
There should be no reason that you are getting spark knock or top end drop off if meth controller is calibrated correctly. It may have been your fuel source or you have had too much meth flow at higher RPMS. That should have showed up in dyno runs after you installed the supercharger.
Correct BC, the 93 pump gas just wasn't doing it. It was pulling timing, and without meth, the E53 will knock badly, its not even feasible to rev past 4000rpm. The meth is calibrated nicely, I will elaborate in the next paragraph.

Quote:
In this area most who make the change to E85 are doing so because it is cheap race fuel and they don't want to be as concerned about having a lean condition. The are fairly frequent discussions about where to buy or the best place to buy E85. I assume they are not happy with some sources for E85 or it is not readily available, have never asked. I don't know if that is still the case but at one time the government allowed a 20% variance. E85 adjustments for seasonal changes in some areas can be as much as 40% though the bulk of the benefits of E85 are achieved at about 65%. Some say those fluctuations and not a problem, some say they are. Some say the change to E85 improved performance, some say it was insignificant.
I made the change to E85 for two reasons. One, I recently had meth pump failure, and its is difficult to find parts for my particular system. Already at 65% ethanol, I can run the E53 without the meth activated. So, if the system ever fails, and I cannot get replacement parts, I will still be able to run the E53 without knock. Two, 93 pump gas is getting a bit more expensive, so I wanted to achieve a better price point for my fuel.

Quote:
Meth is alcohol based so cooling and octane boost benefits are similar. Running both E85 and meth takes care of any potential fluctuations of E85 fuel. I would continue to use 50/50 mix of meth.That should be the max benefit but you will need dyno runs to know for sure. If you have a custom tune for meth you may not need to change it but I would check to see if it is getting all of any benefits that are 'safe' to get. If I recall correctly you said you already have larger injectors and a greater volume fuel pump to handle the increased fuel volume needed for the supercharger. If not, you may need to make those changes so you don't create a lean condition. Without question I would test the changes on a dyno ASAP.
Hell yeah BC! I will continue using the 50/50 mix. Meth, with the E85 is insane! That M54 has NEVER pulled to the top the way it does, when you dump all that fuel into it! Wise advice indeed. The company that engineers the piggyback system suggests meth users deactivate the system. But the results with the system activated are phenomenal. I do have a custom tune, however the piggyback tunes the E85 in real time. So, as far as fluctuations with the ethanol content, whether it be 50%, 75%, or 100% the piggyback ecm will adjust the fuel trims, and the dme will adjust timing. Its really an amazing system Its a true "Flex-Fuel" conversion but, for performance, not simply to use the cleaner burning fuel. It maximizes the benefits of the 105 octane. Yes, my E53 has larger injectors, and supports higher fuel volumes.

Quote:
If you decide to overdrive the supercharger be sure it is capable of the boost increase all the way to redline. If it can you could increase shift points to see if HP/TQ curve improves, especially low end torque.
I am sure there is room for more boost. But, the power she is producing at this point is more than sufficient. My E53 has been supercharged for nearly 10 years now, and reliability, thus far has never been an issue. I will most likely leave the specs the way they are.

On a final note. I am truly shocked at how much power was made with the addition of the piggyback ecm. I highly recommend this system for those looking to exploit the hidden power in their setup.

Sponsored Links