View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 10:56 AM

timmyc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBBimmer View Post
I'm thinking about buying an Android HU, mostly for phone and Nav but am wondering if I should get a BU Camera while I'm at it. Visibility out the back of the X5 kinda sucks. The HU install looks pretty straight forward (I have the standard Business Radio and single CD now, no DSP or factory Nav so I think everything I have to do for the HU is in the dash), Im wondering how hard it is to string the camera cable to the back, where you mount the camera, and what does it take to connect to the transmission shifter for it to recognize reverse?

I'm leaning towards this XTRON HU, mostly because it's the only Octa-Core 4GB RAM unit I see.

All thoughts and experiences appreciated.
The Xtrons brand is pretty solid. I haven't had any major issues with it aside from the terrible internal mic. It's mostly the IBus software that is funky.

I see that you are interested in the HU for the NAV capability. I too, was excited for that option. Now, not so much. Here's why:
Unless you opt for the cellular connection, you have to use offline maps. This is okay if you live in an area that has a large area covered under one "offline area" through Google Maps. Being in SB, you may have a large area covered. IDK? If not, the area that you DL must be updated every month or so. This just requires you are connected to the internet for the update. It's probably not an issue or chore for most, it just is for me.

And if you will be using it for calls while on the road, GET THE EXTERNAL MIC!

Not sure if all of the Xtrons units are the same, but the internal mic really sucks on mine.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links