View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Pre-fookin'-mia-memba!

X5Jay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbalkint
Ol'Uncle Motor is right: You could eat off that engine bay. Wow, that is pristine.

Q: What products did you use on the engine bay, and what was your process?

Thanks in advance.
Very simple process & products: Wayne's MF towels, water, Aerospace 303, and just a tad of Zaino Z2. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think I got the 303 idea from David a long time back - great stuff!

Like any job, breaking it down into smaller components makes it easier to tackle. I break up the space into 4 or 5 areas... I use a few older towels and I lay them around the engine compartment leaving only one of the areas uncovered and I concentrate on just one area at a time.

I use another towel heavily dampend with water (but not dripping) and I gently clean everything in that one area that I can possibly reach. As quickly as I clean a couple of spots within an area, I dry them with a dry towel. For those areas that are especially hard to reach, I use a detailer's tool - has a pointy rubber tip that I can wrap the damp rag around to dig into tight crevices. When I'm done with one section, I move on to the next. Rinse the rag thoroughly with fresh clean water after each section. I also did the underside of the hood along with the hood liner (gently on the hood liner).

When I'm done with all the cleaning, I move onto the 303. However, I use just a lightly 303-misted rag that is already damp (just damp this time, not soaked) with water and I go over all of the plastic with that. If you use too much 303 I think it will look too shiny (I like the clean "showroom-new" look better than shiny). Let the 303 settle into the plastic for a good half hour, and then lightly wipe everything down one more time with a dry rag - evens everything out and makes it look new as opposed to shiny. I even do the silver engine cover with the 303 as well, but I Zaino the BMW stripe down the middle. That's it! Takes me about 2 hours if I take my time and really try to dig deep. Watch your knuckles!

Retired:'04 X5 4.4i

Sponsored Links