View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 09:30 AM

LVP is on a distinguished road
Retrofit

Hi guys, slowly have been poking away at getting this working. I've got the mic, SOS/help switch, bluetooth module (believe from an 03) and bluetooth antenna. I only have one connector that seems to attach to either the bluetooth module or the antenna. For those that have done the retrofit (and from these posts) I suspect there is a cable that needs to go from the bluetooth module to the antenna. I have steering wheel buttons, no button in the middle console and the business radio (no nav unit). My car is a Jan 2004 production. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruzo View Post
I purchased an used oem bluetooth retrofit kit from ebay. Installed it today. Here's my install steps:

1. Connect the ULF module to the 53pin cable from the prewired cables in the rear cargo area.

2. Connected the bluetooth antenna cable from the antenna down to the ULF module.

3. Looked at the SES jumble plug behind the cd changer, did it both ways: replaced with the plug that came with the kit, then unplugged and reinstalled the oem plug.

4. Removed the front center console phone electronics cover, install the BMW eject box and connect the 18pin connector and the purple RF connector from the bluetooth eject box to the 2 prewired connectors under the cover.

5. Remove the garage door opener to reach in and pop out the microphone cover. Look for the unused 3 pin connector and plug into the microphone with the arrow pointing to the windshield.

6. Turn on the ignition and look for the ULF device in my car's bluetooth devices.

This is the step that i'm stuck on. I tried multiple ways, but I just couldn't get my iphone to see the bmw ULF.

I turned ignition to first position, turn on the nav monitor, made sure "telephone" is displayed on the screen. Then I looked for the ulf device in my iphone's bluetooth.

I also did this using the supplied SES plug.

Tried resetting the ULF device by unplugging the unit and waiting a few minutes before plugging it back in.

Also tried to press the voice recognition button on the eject box, but every time I just get a voice that says "sorry". When I press it again it says "system off".

Gave up after multiple tries using all variations.

I've noticed that bluetooth is in the "off" position under settings. And I could not turn it to the "on" position despite multiple tries.

My guess is, I either have a bad ULF unit, or my monitor needs a firmware update so I can turn bluetooth to "on"?

Or i'm doing something wrong and just don't know it.

Can anyone share their successful experience retrofitting the bluetooth?

Much obliged!

Theo

p.s. I did notice there's an extra bluetooth cable and a 3 wire cable near the 53pin prewired cable for the ULF device. But since my retrofit kit came with an antenna and a cable, I used the cable from the kit to connect between the ULF and the antenna.
- 1998 328i, 370,000km

Track:
- 1996 328i, track/race car, ~300,000km

Winter:
- 2013 Ski-Doo MXZ X 800 E-TEC, trail can
- 2001 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 w/800 engine, exhaust
- 1978 Ski-Doo Olympique 340 (vintage race sled)
- 1977 Ski-Doo Olympique 340E

Sponsored Links