View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 10:06 PM

miloh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost puppy
Back in 2018 I bought a 06 X5 with the pano roof. *In 2019 got in an accident and the car wasn’t damaged too bad but it tweaked the frame. *I then bought a 05 X5 that was like brand new except the pano roof would open in the vent position but then the back half would not close. I had to physically force it to close.* Looking into it I *found a lot of broken plastic pieces in the track and so forth. I watched the YouTube videos on how to repair it. I was still kind of lost on it so I decided to take the cartridge out of my 06 and put it into my 05. I did it by myself and at first I was really hesitant because I had to take the headliner out without damaging it. The Bentley shop manual does not have a section on replacing the cartridge. I figured since my 06 is now a parts car I figured I would take the cartridge out of that one first so I can learn how to do it. I found it easy to take out so I took the one out of my 05 and switch them it works beautifully and there’s no leaks. Wondering how I was going to support this while I unbolted the cartridge from the roof without having it fall down onto the seats I took a heavy duty rubber bungee cord and hooked it to the sheet metal of the roof from side to side under the front portion of the cartridge *then proceeded to unscrew the bolts and let the front of the cartridge rest on the bungee cord *and the back of the cartridge rest on the backrest of the back seat with a towel in between.* Then just going from front to back I let the back half of the cartridge rest on the tailgate (in the closed position) and the front half was them resting on the covered backrest of the back seat. I used a rubber bungee cord so I could have that movement to slide the cartridge back and yet still be supported by the front and then proceeded to lift up the front of the cartridge moved to bungee cord and let it sit on the backrest of the seats. *You could of course go to a junkyard and pick up the whole cartridge from another one and just replace it. Although it does involve more work you could do it in a day at least that's how long it took me to do mine and I had no instructions to follow on how to replace the cartridge. *Don't know if this helps you but just thought I'd share my experience with you
Yes that helps a lot. I was wondering how removing the cartridge would go. I imagine with the glass out it's not nearly as heavy as the replacement one, but the bungee idea is great, thank you

Sponsored Links