View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 11:55 AM

Russianblue is on a distinguished road
lots of news. mostly bad.

first, if you haven't seen this in person, here is what a shattered cam looks like.

and this is what a donor car at the junkyard looks like! i got seriously lucky. i only needed the intake but the exhaust cam was perfect so i got that one too. 2004 530i that somebody had obviously taken decent care of. These cams were in WAY better condition than mine. Set me back about a day and took a LOT of energy. Long story but it was damn near impossible to get that intake cam installed. Not sure why it was so difficult. Caps just wouldn't got down far enough.

So then I reinstalled the vanos and timed it with the tool. BTW, i would suggest the 50skid video for that. The G.A.S. instructions are WAY overkill. It's a lot simpler than they make it sound and i think your chances for error go UP as you drown on STEP 58.

after that i did the valve cover and bolted the exhaust back up and then the manifold, injectors, etc.

Anyway, the big moment. pulled the fuel pump fuse. cranked it for oil pressure. no metal clanking so that's a good sign. put fuse 47 back and next thing you know she purrs to life...and a massive screeching from what must be a bad power steering pump that's done with getting drenched in coolant and P/S fluid. I guess that was it. either or the alternator. not sure what else could make that horrid noise (which goes away after driving a bit).

here's where the bad part starts.

1) this morning i saw that it's leaking oil directly from the head gasket on the front right corner.

2) it's eating coolant. same problem it went into the shop for. after you drive it and let it cool, the top radiator hose gets sucked flat.

3) i am pretty sure there is steam coming out of the exhaust.

I think i am about done with it unfortunately. This morning i jump in my nearly new 2005 Xer to head to work (which i skipped yesterday to work on the cyl head project) and it starts, chokes and stalls. that's some pretty impressive luck, eh?! Bound to be the CCV. It's at 100k and I have been putting it off.

2005 X5 3.0i - 71k mi (9.2018) -> 81k (9.19) -> 100k 9.21
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLD : ( 2003 X5 3.0 - 177k mi (9.2018) -> 186k (9.19) -> 205k (9.21)
SOLD : ( 1997 328is Coupe - Hellrot Red
SOLD : ( 1988 528e w/ Bullseye s256 / MS2 Extra / GC Coilovers / Yukon Coils ~ 300+ HP

Sponsored Links