View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 09:37 AM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
rear window fell down, temp fix?

Before replacing window regulator on customer 328xi, I just used gorilla tape. Just avoid getting on the paint just three rubber. It will clean off with goo gone. Use a long strip full height of window.

On clients the plastic clip that holds the cable snapped. It could have been fixed with JB Weld but the tape held for a week or ten days waiting for OEM parts from FCP

You can pull out the part while window is taped up to determine if you can repair it. I would have repaired for $5 vs. replace having to do again. The cable pulled though the plastic part which was largely intact. It just needed a new end (think: add washer). jB Weld on the end of the cable would have been a better than new repair.

Also: window regulators break due to lack of lubrication on the slides. I've been working on what's the best. I've used some Teflon sprays that lasted two years but the recent ones haven't lasted very long I think wax (like you'd use on a ski) might be the best bet.

I've measurrd 70% faster speed rolling up a window after one Teflon treatment.

I've not had to replace any of my regulators on my 20 year X5 bought in 2015. The driver window was HALF speed when I got the car.

I regularly "race" the windows up and down (driver/passenger). When the driver gets behind more than 2" going up or 1" going down it's time for another shot of silicone etc.

I have to repair door lock actuator on passenger side so I will figure out the best way to apply some wax to the window edge or go inside the door and apply to the "carpet rail".

I will also measure the before and after current draw to get an objective value of how much extra stress is on the parts that break.

Any time a door is open for any reason I would look into adding a layer of JB Weld to the plastic clip that breaks.

I bought a set of clips shortly after getting the car due to the half speed driver window and everybody saying that's just a warning the window regulator is about to break. Well six years later and my clip is still in the parts box.

If you take out the regulator if it's the break i can help you figure out a $5 repair

Last edited by andrewwynn; 07-18-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Sponsored Links