View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 02:55 PM

Russianblue is on a distinguished road
I ended up ordering the parts (cylinder, piston, spring, washer) to 'roll my own' Genuine BMW stock tensioner. It was cheaper that way. Like $60 vs the $220 S54 tensioner.

The tensioner on the car is definitely the original because this car has been mine since 2010 with 100k and before that, belonged to my dad who bought it new. I've got all the service records since its birth.

To OldSkewel's point, I actually (finally) ordered a mechanic's stethoscope which will be here today. That should help diagnose more accurately.

And he's right, I know this stuff like the back of my hand. If it weren't such a PITA to take out that damn radiator shroud and fan every time i need to get to the front of the motor. I think hate fitting the shroud more than I hate trying to get the fan nut started.

and that's a VERY fair question whether I left out any other major car parts or installed them upside down, backwards or what have you, lol! I am sure that the upper tensioner was fully installed but I suppose that could also be worn. But before i go down that path I'll try this easy fix with the lower tensioner and see where we stand.

on a positive note, the car hasn't run this well in years. The motor feels great. Still not quite as 'peppy' as the 98k mile Xer but i'd bet that's just an age thing. Most likely the tranny with the lifetime fluid still on the original!

2005 X5 3.0i - 71k mi (9.2018) -> 81k (9.19) -> 100k 9.21
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLD : ( 2003 X5 3.0 - 177k mi (9.2018) -> 186k (9.19) -> 205k (9.21)
SOLD : ( 1997 328is Coupe - Hellrot Red
SOLD : ( 1988 528e w/ Bullseye s256 / MS2 Extra / GC Coilovers / Yukon Coils ~ 300+ HP

Sponsored Links