View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 03:30 AM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
Bloody COVID!!

First world problem, I know but jeepers, the last couple of years have changed the market for parts.

Firstly, it's hard to get most stuff and secondly, it takes forever... I have to plan maint. about 3-4 months in advance.

I've been looking locally for the FAG bearing kit shown above, easy to get a couple of years ago, for around $170.

Nothing now... I tried the local auction sites and several bearing suppliers - best I could get was a brand called "Optima " or "Optimal".

Nope.

Tried BMW NZ... no stock in the country. And if there was... the retail is around $350. Not bad for OE but...

So I checked out what brand the old bearing that I removed a couple of year back is - the factory bearing (yep, I still have it in the garage...!). The factorry-fitted bearing was a KOYO.

So I looked for a KOYO locally and bingo - got one in my hands for a little under $300. No other hardware (mounting bolts or axle nut) so they are now on order with BMW NZ (and will no doubt sting me another c-note) but at least I'll get the job done, and with parts I trust.

BTW, the KOYO rear E53 bearing can found under numbers 1097158 & 2DACF045N-8B and appears to be the OE part (made in USA or Japan).

https://koyo.jtekt.co.jp/en/support/...cle/002265.php

Sponsored Links