View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 08:42 PM

c-bass is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately I did something I thought would never happen and I'm ashamed

I actually paid for a factory BMW speaker

and a used one at that! BOOO!

A few months back the passenger door speaker died in the wife's car (Black Bastard) so I took it out of Swampy since I had plans to redo the audio system anyway.

However I'm not going to deal with any of that until at least the spring and I've been wanting to put the door panels back on but didn't want to do so with the speaker missing.

Personally I think the factory system is pretty shitty and the last thing I wanted to do is spend $20 on a stock speaker but

out goes the old torn driver's side vapor barrier

and in comes the sweet lighting upgrade and "new" vapor barrier

Once that was done and the passenger speaker was back in I replaced any broken clips and popped the door panels back on.

Speaking of sweet lighting upgrades, I've been driving around with a burnt out front turn signal bulb.

I know BMW driver's aren't supposed to be using their turn signals but it's a pet peeve of mine and I wanted to swap it out...but as it turns out that's no easy task on the facelift version which apparently requires the front bumper to be removed.

There's internet rumors that you can get the headlight forward far enough to change the bulb without removing the bumper but I'm just going to plan for the bumper to have to come off and if it doesn't then bonus.

and guess what happened...

After removing the mounting bolts for the headlight it would only move forward maybe a couple inches before getting caught on the fender. I screwed around with it for a while and managed to get my fingers behind there to unscrew the bulb housing...only to drop the bulb into the fender which means I had to take off the bumper anyway.

However even with the bumper loose and moved forward I couldn't get the damn headlight to come out. Seemed like the turn signal part of the light was making contact with the fender somehow.

after a lot of frustration and cursing I finally noticed the flat "finger" tab on the headlight was catching on the inside bend of the fender. What a pain in the ass!!

Because I have a bunch of different bulbs in inventory I assumed I had a spare but I was either wrong or couldn't find it. End result being I had to go to the parts store in the middle of what I was doing and by the time I got back I lost daylight.

Finally got the turn signal bulb replaced but since the headlight was out anyway I decided it would be a good time to give it a quick restoration because it was looking mighty cloudy.

The driver's side fender is where Swampy was hit before and the light was replaced which makes the other side look even worse than if they were both yellow.

Usually I use 600/800 grit then 1200, 2000 and finish with 3000 grit before I cut and polish. This time around I didn't have any 2 or 3k sandpaper so if it doesn't turn out great I can redo it later on.

The lighting for picture taking is terrible inside and it's outside is dark so I'll take a daytime shot tomorrow of the end result.

Sponsored Links