View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 05:27 PM

Henn28 is on a distinguished road
While the headliner is out....

I'm having my headliner redone at some point in the near future and am thinking about taking advantage of having the liner pan out. Not sure if the following are needed, or the best way to do things. Thoughts would be appreciated.

The second stage of my sound system upgrade is to swap out the BMW amp with a good aftermarket unit in the left cubby, put a 10" powered sub in the right rear cubby and new speakers (using the factory speaker wires to/from the new amp. I'll need to run RCA cables from my kenwood amp to the new amp and powered sub and am thinking of running them overhead. I haven't had the headliner out, but I'm assuming there is a void between sheet metal stampings? I'm not excited to pull old, brittle plastic trim and consoles again to run these cables through the sills or center. I'm having the pillars redone as well so I'm hoping I can snake the wires into the dash at the A-pillar. Any drawbacks to this that folks can think of?

Also, I have the standard moon roof (non-pano), which is working fine currently, but I know the failure rate is high as they get older. Are the failures limited to pano-roof, or both? I could work with the installer to give me access while he's got it all out so I could r/r whatever parts tend to break. Is this juice worth the squeeze? Frankly, my sunroof works great because in 20 years we have very rarely used it. But I always order cars with a sunroof for some reason. Who knows why!

Thanks all
2015 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee - the nice car for my wife
Former
1972 Audi Fox
1986 Saab 900S
1996 BMW Z3
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan
2004 BMW E46 M3
2006 Audi A3 Quatro

Sponsored Links