View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 04:57 PM

grounch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdc101 View Post
If you are driving downhill with the car in gear for long periods, you can actually remove all the heat from your engine using the heater. You aren't adding any heat to the engine with fuel, but you are subtracting it by heating the cabin. In certain conditions this can indeed cause the engine temperature to drop down significantly. However a third-party thermostat could certainly be causing it as well.

Do you have a foxwell or other device that can show you the temperature sensors? My foxwell will show engine coolant and the radiator outlet temperature in real time. When the thermostat is shut, the radiator outlet temp should drop to around the same temperature as the atmosphere, but when the thermostat is open it will be closer to the engine coolant temperature. You might be able to diagnose a stuck-open thermostat in this manner.
Have a laptop with INPA / ISTA, will see if i can have those 2 readings separately. It's a good way to diagnose the stat situation indeed.

Will also try to drive in same conditions without the heater on, if the temp doesn't drop that much this time it will confirm your theory. I don't put lot of heat (usually 21° and 2 or 3 bars of fan) but it still can take some heat.

Sponsored Links