View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 07:51 PM

Attacking Mid is on a distinguished road
It seems to be in 3 large pieces, and it appears that anything missing would have to be small debris. I tried to back flush it with a garden hose as best I could, but I didn't see anything coming out. I also back flushed the heater core and forward flushed the radiator. I'm guessing the radiator passages are the smallest. Perhaps I need to remove it and turn it upside down and back flush it? I'm not sure if that's really necessary, but couldn't hurt to try.

I may have removed most of the debris on my first attempt to solve the problem. My upper hose failed (now I know it may have been exacerbated by a failing WP), so I replaced the hose and at the same time replaced the thermostat due to some inconsistent cabin heating (again - probably due to the failing WP). The WP itself was not originally a concern as it was only about 45K miles old. Since I didn't suspect anything, I didn't bother inspecting the old coolant for impeller debris.

I've used plastic impeller WP's for many years/miles on other BMW's with no problem. I wonder if Saleri has upgraded the plastic since my last purchase? I bought it from FCPEuro, so at least I get a "free" replacement.

Anecdotal thought... When I installed that water pump about 4 years ago, I was out of Genuine BMW coolant. The FLAPS had Pentosin Blue coolant that was supposedly a direct replacement. I wonder if that had any effect on the life of the impeller?

AM.
E46 1999 2.8 M52TU 5MT Black with Tan Leather 250K+ miles (Sold, but not forgotten)

Last edited by Attacking Mid; 03-14-2023 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsored Links