Thread: RFT Repair
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
RFT Repair

Picked up a nail last week in a 255/35 18 directional Bridgestone RFT on the Z4. This is a three year old tire with 14,000 km. Lots of questions on the board about RFT repairs, so that I would pass along what I learned today.

I went to the neighbourhood Bridgestone/Michelin/Firestone dealer, one that I know and have used before. They are trained and certified to repair RFTs. I pointed out where the nail was visible in the tread, 1" from the sidewall. First question - was the tire driven on, and at what pressure. They were concerned because the tire was at zero psi (I took it off at home, and took it in loose). Their cut-off point was if it was driven at under 22 psi, at which time damage can start to occur to the sidewall. I had driven home on it when the tire pressure monitor light came on, but had filled it up on the way. It went down again at home overnight. Incidentally, with zero psi in it I would never have noticed it was low on the car, even examing it compared to the other rear tire which was at 36 psi.

They were comfortable repairing it, no visible damage to the sidewall, and they commented that they could usually tell by looking at it. The only approved repair is a parachute plug, the one that looks like a mushroom, a combination inside radial patch and thin plug. There is no reduction in the speed rating as a result of the repair. Also, they couldn't remount it in exactly the same location as it was too tight to turn on the rim once mounted. They balanced it, didn't mark the rim at all, and had it ready in a couple of hours. $40 with balancing, called a performance tire repair on the work order.

I am happy, in comparison with the cost of a replacement tire. The lesson is not to drive at very low pressure, and repairs should be straightforward.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links