View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM

supersteve is on a distinguished road
What do you mean by "no gear showing." Are you putting it into sport mode and shifting?

The best way to check the Gear selector switch is to disconnect the plug at the switch (on the trans) and check for continuity in the switch. You'll need to look through the wiring diagram but I believe it is pin 4 for the common point then pin 11 for L1, pin 2 for L2, pin 16 for L3, pin 7 for L4 and pin 19 for L5.

I just want to check, your getting the engine to crank with no light off or are you not getting the engine to crank.

If you are getting the engine to crank without starting I suspect the ignition switch. The ignition switch has fixed several starting issues with X5's. In many cases it can be simply cleaned. To do this pull the cover off the steering column (easiest to do with the key in position 1, extend the column all the way out and down). On the opposite side of the column from the key there is a square connector with many wires going into and out of it. Disconnect this connector and spray contact cleaner or even WD-40 into the plug and switch. I found the contacts dirty on mine. I have had to do the above twice. Next time I have any starting problems I will replace the ignition switch.
2006 BMW X5 4.4 ltr (his)
2001 BMW X5 4.4 ltr (hers)
1994 Honda XR650L
1984 Honda XR80

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links