View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM

vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH
I agree with you on the 135i. With a little tuning, that car is going to be a rocket. The new M3 is out of my price range at the moment, so I am actually more excited about the 1 series. My only complaint about the 135i is that it could have been a little lighter also. I guess if you keep the options down and go with manual seats, etc, you can save some weight.

I know 3,700 lbs is pretty heavy, but once again you have to look at the available competition. In general cars are getting bigger and heavier these days. True 4 seat coupes like the e30 M3's just aren't going to happen again. The M3 is getting bigger and heavier, but it is still lighter than the RS4, AMG, CTS-V, etc. Of it's direct competition, what other 2 or 4 door 4 seater is lighter or would be a better combo of daily driver and occasional weekend track rat than the M3?
135i w/ tune + lsd or M(?)1.

Just because the competition is getting heavier too, doesn't mean it's a valid excuse. New tech/engr will go that much farther in a lighter chassis. And think about all the special weight reduction BMW has employed in this one (despite it being non-CSL), ie. composite panels, cf roof, lightweight crankcase, etc.

Imo, the current gen M3 is what it's been up till now, and I don't think BMW is pushing it that way either. All the reviews have said that it feels more sedated despite the performance; and BMW isn't a company to release a product with unintended consequences.

The 1series will more than easily fill the void left, and most likely do a better job. Hopefully, no one buys and e90/93 M3 regrets that it's not the same as what they've come to expect in the past.

Sponsored Links