View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 02:36 PM

primetime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG
I just pulled the car out of the garage into brighter sunlight and looked under the hood. If I look down in the mid to lower sections under the hoos, I see signs of what may be some engine oil. Doesn't look like a lot, but any is no good. I haven't driven it (and won't) since last night. Are we thinking it may be this oil separator issue? If so, what does that mean I'll need to do? Cost? In researching posts on this site, I came across some talk of a servivce bulletin. Does that mean it would be a covered repair? if so, where would I find this info?

Obviously I am past the warranty. Should I take to the dealer for this work or my local independent shop? They do a lot of foreign car work and work on BMW's quite a bit. They've always done alright by me with my X5 and '97 Z3.

It probably is the seperator starting to go bad on you. But the valve cover gaskets are usually the first tell tale sign. Take a flashlight and shine it on the valve cover gaskets. Look all around it in a 360 degree angle.

As far as cost goes, for a new seperator at the dealer including labor is around $1300. I took mine to a local shop familiar with BMW's and they did it for $450. I had the dealer replace my valve cover gasket for $530 which of course would be cheaper at the local shop. probably half.

Unscrew your oil cap, If there is some white or caramel milky residue cream on the cap, it is more then likely your seperator because of condensation build up from the oil freezing in the lines. That is another tell tale sign also. I have become a near expert in this issue as I have just dealt with it and had it taken care of last month.

Sponsored Links