View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM

Denalio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadam
Hi everyone,

I am moving from Europe to Toronto, Canada this year. The significantly lower car prices there will make car shopping just that little bit more fun than back home, where I paid >$60k for a nicely specced 5d Audi A3 two years ago.

Climate dictates that eventhough I am single and relatively young (27) I am in the market for an SUV, most likely an X5 - xDrive and the extra ride height just seem safer in the Canadian winters! Besides I love to go on snowboarding trips and this car seems ideal for that.

So far I have come to wanting to order the following spec X5:
  • BMW X5 3.0si
  • Black Sapphire Metallic
  • Black Nevada Leather
  • Bamboo trim (or walnut, but i think bamboo is nicer??)
  • Sports pkg (incl 19" 5-spoke rims)
  • Premium Sound pkg (incl ipod usb)
  • Activity pkg (running boards, skibag, washers)
  • Technology pkg (satnav, rear cam, pdc)
  • Panorama sunroof
Now here are my doubts and questions:
  • I like the 20" 214 wheels but the Toronto dealer I visited said they can't be had as an option on the 3.0si. I personally expect them to be unsuitable for Toronto winters with their 315 wide rear tires. Am I right?
  • Will the 19" sports pkg wheels with their all season tires be good enough to drive on snow or on trips to the mountains or will I really need winter tyres??? For what it's worth, in Europe all season tyres are very uncommon... we drive on summer tires year round and swap them for winter tires when needed. I do not know what to expect from so called all-season tyres. So far on the rentals I've had there they seemed fine but not impressive.
  • Bamboo or dark walnut?
  • Will either the sports seats or the comfort seats change the rear seat as well?? I've never sat on it but it looks as flat as a surfboard (and uncomfortable?). Would like a rear seat with more protruding "seats".
  • Is it possible to get (factory?) window tints without rear climate pkg? (Have no kids but like the look) Howmuch would that be?
  • Is it possible to get chrome window trim as an option? $$ ??
  • I've already seen that the grey "kidney" inserts are easy to retrofit so will be looking to do that.
What are your thoughts on my "dream car" and the questions asked??
Any Toronto dealers that you can recommend?

Much much appreciated... thanks!!
Hi,

I live 30 miles south of Toronto. Maybe I can answer some of your questions.

1) You are correct. If you get the 20's you will need winter set up. You cannot order them as an option unless you order sport pack .
2) All seasons work O.K. I use my 19's for winter, but wish I had snow tires. They are debating whether to make it mandatory in Ontario to have winter tires. If your already used to changing them I would go summer/winter route.
3) personal preference- I like walnut.
4) No change in configuration and the back seats are surprisingly comfortable. If you order the 3rd row you will also get the auto leveling shocks.
4) Not sure, but if I recall the tint only comes with the package. You are better off getting aftermarket tint anyway.
5) Can't help with the chrome, but it is standard on the non-sport model.
6) Very east retrofit.

If you need a list of dealers PM me. I would rather not comment on the open forum.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Links