View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgruber
Weird to say the least. It looks like some other car, I just can't figure out which one. Maybe the mating of a Mercedes CLS and an AMC Eagle? The proportions are completely wrong. Oh and too bad the trunk lid doesn't just swing wide open until it touches the roof. Horrific choice of exterior color, but at least it compliments the interior color scheme with those seat panels that remind me of the wood body panels of Clark Griswold's station wagon in Vacation. Ugliest rims on a BMW in 10+ years, but at least rappers won't have to get them custom chromed.

I completely do not see the point of this thing. It should be called the BMW 5 series 'WTF' concept.

Strong work von Hooydork on this Chinese abortion; you're fired.
I don't think it is weird at all. It is a modern interpretation of a Rover 3500 SD1, or a SAAB 900 five door hatch.

The challenge that BMW has with the touring models, one of their best designs, is that too many Americans think it is a station wagon and that it evokes Clark Griswold. Tourings are cool, but the problem is that your neighbour will call it a station wagon. So, this is a halfway step between a sedan and a touring. Stylish and practical. I don't think they can claim to have invented the segment, just interpeted it on a modern platform.

At least this vehicle makes some sense. It is a RWD car, with a longer wheelbase than the sedan, and with a hatchback. Now they need to drop the PAS nonsense, as that just confuses the issue and makes people think of this as a crossover. It isn't a crossover.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links