View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM

FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Must be a different demographic. Folks in my part of the world who want diesels tend to want AWD as well. These folks are the granolas, and their VW microbuses and Subarus are wearing out. They haven't bought a Volvo since the 245 was discontinued, so their choices are limited. A wagon, with a diesel, and AWD, is a perfect fit. Some of them would of course like a manual transmission, but they can't have everything.

I think the idea of an unhinged rear-drive vehicle is more sporting, and that is the antithesis of a diesel, which was my point back in post #3. That is why BMW will bundle an AWD, with an automatic, and a diesel. Package deal.

I agree. The people who will buy many of the BMW diesels are not typical car buyers, or even typical BMW enthusiasts for that matter. I know Audi has planted a diesel in the R8 that hauls and the 335d is no sloutch, but I don't associate rear wheel drive and performance with the word diesel. I would buy the 335i if I wanted performance and the 335d if I wanted a car that I could leave running at truck stops.

Sponsored Links