View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 AM

JoshGM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nom3rcy View Post
The oil temp is one of the most important gauges a driver can have!

Oil's basic function is to be at a sufficient psi between bearing surfaces to keep them from touching. To maintain this psi, you have to choose the correct weight oil for the operating temperature you're experiencing. For normal use, you are around 210 degrees or so, but when racing can go much higher. If the engine runs hot, you want a 'thicker' oil to compensate for the temp difference and maintain that psi. If the engine runs cool, you need a thinner oil.

Of course on modern cars the manufacturer has already figured everything out for us, but if you want to know the why's and how's this is the best article I have ever read on the subject:

Everything you ever wanted to know about oil: Motor Oil - All Chapters, Inclusive -Copy and Save This - FerrariChat.com
Damn! This Dr HAAS has really gone into the subject, me too I have never ever seen such a detailed research into motor oil done so passionately. I just "copied and saved" the article to be read at my own time and attempt his test! Duh!... ofcourse I wouldnt even paste my results here!

Serously thanks a trillion it has opened my eyes and start looking at engine oils with more seriousness than just buying as long as it is "petrol engine" oil! - I had no clue! Thanks man.

Sponsored Links