View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5rolls View Post
A while ago my wife and I were discussing that someday it might be good to get a car that has great mileage. Neither one of us are fans of hybrids. We have become spoiled by owning BMWs and other very cool cars so giving up some of the dynamics, quickness, handling, interior quality etc. isn't very appealing. So, thinking of hi-line cars that have great mileage there are not a huge number to choose from. I'm a fan of diesels in certain applications but have never owned one.

Doing a quick survey of what is out there I started to review/investigate the BMW 335d. Very good mileage numbers, it's a BMW with all the things we have become accustomed to and it looks great with the right sport options and wheels.

I wouldn't be able to say an economy car as when optioned the way I like it is over 50k but it isn't like any other vehicle with 26/36 mpg out there that I've seen in my quicky survey. With the inherent push of the diesel torque way down in the rpm range it would be a very easy vehicle to get used to. Not in place of other sports cars we have but an excellent addition.
Only problem with that plan is that the 335d doesn't have great mileage. If we want to get serious about a good handling 3 series BMW, with great mileage, then we should demand that BMW bring the 320d Efficient Dynamics model to North America. Using comparative figures from the Euro models, it gets 63% better fuel economy than the 335d on the combined cycle fuel consumption tests. In Europe, you can get all the options and features you want on the smaller-engined models, unlike here. The 2 litre four cylinder is also much lighter, so handling will be improved. BMW has said they will bring four cylinder diesels to North America, so this plus the new X1/X3 with the same 2.0d engine are a possibility.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links