View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM

diyanich is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_4.8isX5 View Post
I thought I'd share my most extremely frustrating situation with this forum. I own a 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, beautiful vehicle with only now 48,000miles on it. My wife and I purchased this vehicle from an independent broker in Seattle when it had only a little more than 35,000 miles on it. Lately the x5 has been doing the infamous "lurch" transmission issue and having problems shifting up after about 3rd gear or so. It happens randomnly and inconsistently and not in sport mode.

I have owned aproximately 7 BMW's, raised on working on my own cars and always maintaining them and I am very meticulous to the point some may call OCD! We bought this X5 to drive my wife and our new 10mth old son in.

Getting to the point, I took it to our local Salem BMW dealer/service location and received the diagnosis that the entire transmission needs to be replaced! What's more shocking is the price they gave me would be anywhere from 9500 to aproximately 10,000 for labor and to replace it. After being in shock and upset I tried to speak to the dealer about any type of break or cost reduction, goodwill or anything for us and was denied from both the dealer and BMW NA. When speaking for over 30minutes to BMW NA about my history with them, and the issue, they just told me they couldn't and wouldn't help me since it is no longer under warranty and hadn't been serviced through them since I've owned it. I tried to explain that the car had less than 50,000 miles on it, the transmission in "BMW" terms is lifetime fluid and not to be serviced, the car has been EXTREMELY well taken care of and maintained with records of all the parts I have purchased for it, as well as m other vehicles. They didn't care, they told me they wouldn't do anything but file a complaint.

I currently own a BMW e39 540i as well, have owned multiple e30's, e36's but this experience has made me decide against ever buying a bmw again. We will probably trade this x5 and may get rid of my 540i also for something else and definitely not a BMW because of this experience. I am so so soooo very dissapointed.

-Nathan
Sorry to hear that,hey,but come on it's a shame the situation with those trannys,but why don't you go to get a quote from an independent transmission shop?
I bet it's gonna be at list half of what they are asking for.
As many of guy pointed in the tranny's threads,you have to run them hard rather than pampering.
I would go to the tranny shop and ask to change the fluid and filter,but point for the right one OE Filter and Fluid which is an ESSO ATF LT 71141 BMW PART NUMBER 83 22 9 407 807 20 LITER BLUE – LIFETIME FILL
If that doesn't help get it checked further,may be it's a mechatronic's unit fault.
Come on,give it a try!
Don't hate it,just get a second opinion..it always rewards at the end

Sponsored Links