View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 AM

jgood is on a distinguished road
I'm 110% sure the gaskets are where I'm leaking from. I had to break them off in chunks of plastic, as opposed to peeling off rubber.

So far I have the passenger side covers removed and soaking in cleaner. Tomorrow night I'll hit the passenger side, and Sunday reassemble it all.

The only surprises so far are the fact that I lost the rear most fuel injector clip (I am praying it fell into a location where it can just hide instead of getting into trouble). I also removed the passenger side timing cover without removing the vanos solenoid. It's tight, and required some defying physics, but it worked. The drivers side looks possible as well, we'll see. Everything else went smooth. It is hard work, but it's nothing that would make me want to pay $1k plus to have a dealer do it.

UPDATE:

Drivers side valve cover and timing cover are now off, after another 2 hours of work tonight. There is not much clearance, but once again, I managed to get the timing cover off without removing the vanos solenoid, so it looks like this can be done without the deep 32mm vanos solenoid socket at all. Obviously, if you don't like really tugging on things in certain directions, wondering if they will break, you will prefer to spend the money on the socket.

Last edited by jgood; 01-31-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsored Links