View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 PM

X5 Meister is on a distinguished road
In regard to your first sentence, keep in mind that while AGM's can use any battery charger, the optimal charging voltage and rate is a bit different, strictly speaking, from wet batteries. Just have a look at the CTEK Chargers for example:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...w-one-fyi.html

The US 3300 model has 3 modes essentially. Per the manual:
1. Mode 14.4 V / 0.8 A - This mode is normally used for batteries < 14 Ah. (depicted by the little motorcycle).
2. Mode 14.4 V / 3.3 A - Normal setting for wet batteries, maintenance free and for most Gel batteries. Some gel batteries prefer a slightly lower voltage. Please consult the battery manufacturer when in doubt. (depicted by the little car)
3. Mode 14.7 V/ 3.3 A - This setting is recommended for a battery at temperatures < 41 degrees F. It is also recommended for many AGM batteries like Optima, Maxxima and Odysses. Consult your battery manufacturer when in doubt. (depicted by the little snowflake and sealed battery logo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55AMG2 View Post
Actually, AGMs can use any battery charger...just as any wet cell battery. This is per Braille and Odyssey. Whomever said they couldnt use a normal charger was misinformed. The thread you linked to is full of misinformation. The alternators on new BMWs are even more powerful than the ones on those of yesteryear. They all have voltage regulators, or they'd overcharge ANY battery that they were attached to.

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries

I have been running the Braille battery for 8 months now, in both my X and M5 (the M5 has been for 1.5 years, and required foam blocks to keep the battery in place as it is specced for a 95R). I dont have to leave the car not being driven on a tender, as the AGM holds its charge much much much better than a conventional BMW battery.

I would highly recommend the Braille 49 endurance for any BMW.

Sponsored Links