View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 AM

msammy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph74 View Post
Since there is differing opinion here, I decided to talk to the guys at the local dealership. They were nice enough to give me a tire gauge to take home with me since I had my 540i on me at the time. They told me that they feel comfortable with 4/32nds of an inch difference between front and rear tires max. The difference for me was 5/32nds so I have decided to go ahead and replace the fronts. It may end up being overkill, but I guess I'm too damn anal and overcautious to just look the other way on this one. I'll spend the extra $350 for peace of mind.

Thanks for all your input guys!
RPH74, you made the right decision by replacing all four, good piece of mind having good rubber all around. I was in the same situation a few years ago and just replaced the rears which ended up being fine for my situation - I have 117K miles now and no damage to the tranny or transfer case as a result. This past winter the fronts were getting a bit thin and were noticeable in the bad winter we had in the Northeast, the start/stops in the snow were just not very good. This spring, I replaced all four just to get back to a good rubber baseline even though the rears were just fine. I kinda felt bad about tossing out two good tires, but my wife drives our X5 alot with the kids, so I felt a few hundred $$$'s is worth it. Keep us posted on your ride!
2022 X6///M - Toronto Red, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, Executive Package w/Remote Engine Start, Soft-close doors, Heated & Cooled Cupholders, Front Ventilated Seats, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Front Massaging Seats, Carbon Fiber Trim.

2002 X5 3.0i, Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenons, DICE, LED Tails, just a winter vehicle...

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota, Nav, Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Xenons.

Sponsored Links