View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
this is another reason I'm unsure about the BMW warranty over something like warrantydirect. For 3 more years, 70k total miles, my SA quoted me $4600. WD quoted me 5 more years, 60k total miles for $3800 for their top tier coverage (I've only done 22k in 4 years). If BMW covered exactly the same, I would hesitate and go with their own name, but it doesn't - it doesn't include wear & tear (like they have been for me on the original warranty), and it doesnt' cover the nav if it has previously shown issues (which mine has), among other things. I'm sure there's an official document somewhere, but with the price, coverage period, and limitations, I'm likely staying away from BMW. WD has a great reputation too... and I wouldn't be able to get better anywhere outside.

EDIT>> http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_297ba288...2-86ac07d46da1

I think if they list what's NOT covered it would be more beneficial.

For example, I just got my car back for a "fuel level sensor wire at pump connector burnt"... my fuel gauge was behaving erratically. The doc does not specify wires or the fuel level sensors being covered. Ugh.
Note: Your link is for the insurance gap policy. I think you want this link:

http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_3927f5d4...2-dce774027bde

The biggest issue between WD and BMW, IMO, isn't the coverage. It is the claim procedure, the approval for dealer warranty labour rates, and the use of OE parts.

Your original warranty didn't cover wear and tear either, you had a separate maintenance plan. If that is important, you can ask about buying extended full maintenance on top of the extended warranty. It is an expensive way to go, though.

I assume by top tier you mean the Platinum coverage. It notes that the main wiring harnesses are covered, as well as a long list of electrical items. With regards to your fuel pump/sensor wire, though, that may be more likely to be wear and tear than a defective part. The repair kit for the plug is a few dollars, so probably not a big issue. I just use it as an example of the difference between defective manufacturing (four years ago when your vehicle was built) and something that has worn out (due to heat, abrasion, etc). Just because something is listed on the brochure as covered, doesn't mean it is covered. You have to consider the reason for the failure.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links