View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 AM

ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym View Post
I'm in a bit different of a situation but...

I bought my 07 CPO'ed back in January. My factory warranty and maintenance just ended on 8/15/11 and it feels so good to have a CPO..."just in case."

Then again, it's still a step down from full warranty and free maintenance. At least it's something.

I'd never buy any newer vehicle without some sort of warranty. I got rid of my E53 when my aftermarket warranty expired and haven't looked back.
The BMW CPO warranty is equivalent to the "Gold" extended warranty. Sure it is not the 'platinum', and definitely not a new car warranty, but it will surely take care of the major stuff. WHATEVER you do, wean yourself off of 'BMW dealer' maintenance and service, use them only for warranty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
this is another reason I'm unsure about the BMW warranty over something like warrantydirect. For 3 more years, 70k total miles, my SA quoted me $4600. WD quoted me 5 more years, 60k total miles for $3800 for their top tier coverage (I've only done 22k in 4 years). If BMW covered exactly the same, I would hesitate and go with their own name, but it doesn't - it doesn't include wear & tear (like they have been for me on the original warranty), and it doesnt' cover the nav if it has previously shown issues (which mine has), among other things. I'm sure there's an official document somewhere, but with the price, coverage period, and limitations, I'm likely staying away from BMW. WD has a great reputation too... and I wouldn't be able to get better anywhere outside.

EDIT>> http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_297ba288...2-86ac07d46da1

I think if they list what's NOT covered it would be more beneficial.

For example, I just got my car back for a "fuel level sensor wire at pump connector burnt"... my fuel gauge was behaving erratically. The doc does not specify wires or the fuel level sensors being covered. Ugh.
It is laughable that people try to evaluate warranties by comparing lists of parts and numerical coverages... I can make any warranty seem cheaper and better than the BMW plan- but it'll be like shooting fish in the barrel when you try and actually USE it!

If you are buying a BMW warranty you SHOP, just like you did for the car. ASKING the SA for a price will not be a plan. Prices are listed here, and there are vendors/sponsors who will deal privately.

There is this weird thing that happens with consumers...they get scared of the big price tag of an OEs plan, but are fearful of going naked...so they look at these other plans- knowing in their heart it is a crap shoot, and they make get screwed, but they rationailze it with "well at least it is something, and maybe I'll be OK...better than nothing..."

The issues with aftermarket have been stated here and in MANY other forums.... some people do OK, others get screwed. The same company, same plan- depends on how the underlying finances are doing- they may be OK at first but find the fund isn't doing so well and they need to reject more...or they made a mistake with the car and claims are running ahead of predicted.... once this happens there are myriad ways for them to run you around- denying teardowns, dragging feet on approvals, claiming their allowances are lower than the dealer says, etc, etc, etc.

Finally, the BMW Platinum plan covers the nav, even if it did have prior issues... and the BMW plans will cover the incessant and repetitive 'programming' that repairs seem to require.

Finally, "an official document somewhere"??? People really do buy this crap without reading the contracts- rather amazing to me. $3800 or 4600 and they blindly trust a verbal assertion over the phone and/or a webpage description. Read the policy AND use an interpretation that will be the most prejudicial against you- THAT will be what you'll get.

Contact some sponsors-

A

Sponsored Links