View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 02:19 PM

jgood is on a distinguished road
Torque converter failing...

2002 X5 4.4, 147,000 miles.

I had a noticeable shudder while accelerating occasionally, and also a noticeable 'stepping' up in RPM's as I was accelerating (RPM's would jump up 200-300, then stop, then jump up 200-300, then stop, etc...)

Took it to a local trans stop, he diagnosed it as a torque converter going bad. He said the fluid did not look too bad, it was brownish, but it didn't smell burnt. He said unless he pulled the pan to see if there's excess material in it, there's no way of knowing if the trans should be rebuilt as well. So I could get away with just the converter being replaced, but if there's metal shavings, I should just do both. He said I may want to do both regardless, as pulling the trans is expensive and it does have high mileage.

Here's some cost figures he gave me:

His cost for a rebuilt converter: $1000
His estimate to remove/install transmission: $500 (7 hours)
His estimate to rebuild my trans: $2000 (12 month/12k mile warranty)

Total for the above: $3700
Total to just replace torque converter: $1700

I found another local company that rebuilds converters, they actually have one in stock, cost is $205. So I could install this myself, or have the shop do it for $500 + fluids, etc. The trans shop guy didn't recommend this company as they've had one or two problems, but many people HAVE used them problem free.

Those who have been through this, what are your experiences? Anyone just do a converter? Anyone pull the trans themselves? Was it worth saving the money? I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've done a lot of custom work on older BMW's; e30's, e34's, etc... (custom engine swaps, auto to manual conversions, I've basically rebuilt mine from the ground up). But X5's are a new animal to me, and I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Sponsored Links