View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM

romeokc10 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I've read your latest posts, sorry to hear about the trouble you're having, but now you see why I used the inner boot removal method. I'll try to answer some of the questions you guys seem to have and tell you what worked for me.
1. The boot kit should come with a new collar nut, mine did.
2. That collar is tough to get off because of that damn detent (why not use a simple cotter pin) and it's torqued on very, very tight. If you read earlier in this thread, most guys had to use a hydraulic jack under the pry bar just to break the collar nut lose.
3.It seems the main the thing you guys have against you is time, you both seem to need to have it done right now. With the inner boot removal method you have to have the inner boot grease and of course the new clamps.
4. As for the clamps, trust me, YOU CAN'T REUSE THEM! Look at the design of them, the clamps hook together over a raised tab, then you use the special pliers to squeeze the clamp together. Once that clamp is squeezed, you can't stretch it back out, no way, no how. When I did my first boot back in July I spent more time trying to save the clamps than it took me to do the entire job, because I was going to the collar nut removal method then changed my mind when I couldn't get the damn thing off. Now I knew I couldn't reuse the old clamps and didn't have new clamps, so it ended up taking me two days to complete the job, but I wasn't prepared, preparation is the key. Now I will admit that on my first boot job I was able to reuse the inner boot small clamp and I was able to get the inner boot large clamp back on. But, it took me over 4 hours (didn't have the new clamps yet) to get the large clamp back on. And then when I drove it for a few days it was leaking grease all over the place, because no matter how careful I was, it was deformed from taking it off So trust me, it 'aint worth it to try and reuse the old clamps. Now when the other outer boot tore in October I was ready, I had ordered extra small and large clamps and I can get the grease locally, because we all know how reliable BMW's are...lol! I simply used my Dremel with a cutting disc and cut the old clamps off, just cut through the little hump and your done. The second boot only took me about 3 hours, and that was eating lunch, and having a few beers, I barely got dirty, I was filthy after the first job...lol! Again guys, preparation is the key, sorry that you are in a rush, I used the down time to drive my Corvette...lol!
1994 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2005 Mazda 6 Wagon (Wife's)
1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

Sponsored Links