View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Multibeemer is on a distinguished road
Thanks. In my case, both outer boots are torn, so I'm replacng both. And you're right, the inner joint removal method is much easier than any of the methods dealing with separating the outer joint. I got the drivers' side inner joint apart quite easily, and the new outer boot is on. However, you're also right that preparation is definitely the key. I was able to find a nice set of CV boot clamps at a local Napa, but I'm striking out on the grease. I have one more lead, but I'm not optimistic, so it looks like the X5 will be undriveable for a few days while I order the stuff, which sucks, because I need to replace the front struts on my daughter's 04 325i, and I hate to have two of the family cars simultaneously down, in case something goes wrong with the strut replacement job on the 325i (nah, what could possibly go wrong...? ).

Also, the grease Pegasus sells is not only very expensive, but it looks like a huge quantity; I find it hard to believe anywhere near that much is needed for the tripod joints. What was your experience with this? Did you get your grease from Pegasus? Thanks.
2014 Subaru Forester XT

Sponsored Links