View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 PM

TwinTurboGTR is on a distinguished road
Term is right. Modern Auto trannys do not need to be shifted in Neutral to prolong its life. It actually becomes more harsh on the tranny because the clutch pads are constantly in use; from going out of gear and then back in gear. Some say it shortens the life and some the opposite. In my opinion, if you look at a transmission, it wasn;t built to be constantly taken out and put back in gear.

So I am assuming when you hit a light, your hitting the brakes and shifting into neutral. Then when you stop, the light turns green and you shift back into drive. Now that may be fine, but what about if you still rolling to a stop and and in neutral. Do you shift it back into drive and then go??? I'm sure you aren't coming to a full stop if it was in that situation. So the clutch pads are put in a situation where they weren't designed to be used.

its the same argument with a manual. When people come to a stop, they will double clutch and downshift and use engine breaking to slowdown and use the brakes at the very end. When some choose to shift into neutral and use all brakes. SO what's the difference? Some argue that the first way, you wear the clutch out faster because you are doubling up on gear use and for the second method, people say you will wear out brakes faster. IMHO, brakes are a whole hell of a a lot cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch.

As for vibration, I don't notice mine does but I've noticed my other cars to that sometimes. Its mainly because the tranny is in first and is engaged, so you hitting the brake is causing a counterforce for the tranny wanting to go. When you place it in neutral, there is not force.

Exterior: Alpine Weiss III Interior: Nevada

PACKAGES: .

Sponsored Links