View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM

davintosh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
hey davin you get a chance to tackle those bearings yet?

my buddy who is a tech at lexus balanced my wheels for me yesterday and he confirmed my right front wheel bearing is loose and failing, as I suspected.

Just any input from someone who did these fronts themselves so I can get my truck aligned in one shot. Can I rent a bearing press kit/bearing separator kit from any of the auto parts stores? I know buying the tools from harbor freight its doable and the vids of the guy on the 325 doing the rear its inspiring. didnt know if these tools are available for rent though, if so thats great.

it looks like the slide hammer is the bmw recommended tool to get the hub out, but yet in the youtube vids it looks easier with the guy using the lug bolts and the bearing separator as a backing plate?

Also whats the best way to pop the axle inwards to get it off the knuckle so i can use the bearing press kit, and subsequently replace my outer cv boots at the same time? 3 jaw puller?
Sorry; haven't done this yet. I've been dealing with a bulging disk in my lower back, and have been avoiding crawling around on cold garage floors.

I have been spending some time trying to scrounge up the tools for the job though. I've found that the auto parts stores around here don't have the wheel bearing adapter kits that I've seen used in these jobs. I'm thinking of just pulling the wheel carriers out entirely and using my 12 ton press for the job, but the adapter kit might still be nice to have if only for the cups and plates for pushing the old bearings out and the new ones in. Same goes for the bearing separators; none available on the local loaner programs, so I may end up buying one. $150 or so for the bearing kit and the separator.

And then I'm thinking a new set of shocks might be in order, as long as I'm in there... rears might be original from the looks of them, and the fronts as well. There goes another few hundred $$$. Then the parking brake is weak, so might as well replace the shoes... Project creep is creeping.
--
Dave
1984 528e/5-speed (soon to be M20B25-powered 525i!)

Sponsored Links