View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM

Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory891 View Post
If you have an X5 with a manual transmission (I do, a 2002 3.0 diesel with 5 speed) you will likely have the factory transmission fill, as BMW puts in a high quality (but lifetime) synthetic oil.

Lifetime is not, you will want to change every 30.000 miles / 45.000 km. You will want to change to Redline MTL (I've researched this to death, use it), installing magnetic drain plug (Dimple or UUC) as BMW stopping installing them and then removing the clutch delay valve. I've done all three on mine, MUCH better.

There is no adjustment provision in the shifter linkage, if you have severe play - you'll need to replace worn parts. You will also (naturally) want to have your brakes and clutch fluid changed, normally every two years (annualy is better). This will also help your shifting and ensure long life of your clutch hydraulics.

I can concur about Redline MTL being a great replacement for the factory fill, no problems on mine since I changed it almost a year ago.

What you need to do is check out a diagram of the shifter linkage on RealOEM and honestly if there is no adjustment, just replace the bushings and linkage parts, last I checked it couldn't have been more than 100 in parts and if you are handy you can get to some of the linkage from under the car and some from under the shift boot.
82k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Sponsored Links