View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM

Bill Valley is on a distinguished road
Crazy Idea for Our New Ride

Ok, so my wife's 02 325xi is getting old and needs to be replaced. She insists it has to be AWD, manual trans, and cannot be black, white, or silver. We have found very few preowned that meet that criteria, so we are pretty much stuck with ordering brand new with our build. To further complicate things, BMW chosen not to offer a manual in the F30 328i xDrive, so we have to go to a 335i.

Local dealer has offered us $4000K for her car toward the purchase of a black 2010 328i xDrive (with manual). This one is listed for $28K at 0.9%, and I am sure I can get it for around $25K. My suggestion is that we buy this now and turn around in 9 months and buy a 2013 during October clearance sales. My theory is that we will be able to make $7K - $9K trading or selling the 2010 to Carmax or privately at that time.

There are two potential problems:
1. State sales tax is 7% and I not want to pay twice. Dealers in Nebraska cannot roll tax into the cost of the vehicle. However, I think the tax is calculated on the sale price of the new purchase minus trade in/down payment, so I could end up paying less in taxes if I trade the 2010.

2. The 2010 may not be worth what it is now by the time October rolls around. To try to overcome this, I could finance the 2010 for 36 months. My wife's employer gives her $500/month car allowance, so ideally we would stay as close to that as possible.

Am I making this more complicated than it should be?

Sponsored Links