View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemorelli99 View Post
I really appreciate everyone's input and I am not discounting anything (?) which is why I am here. I wanted to SHARE my experience with those who may be looking for an answer...maybe my experience might help them.

And I don't think you are reading my posts RB...I never said I replaced the accumulator or air tank (I am replacing the VALVE Thursday morning) and my vehicle has not sunk both times the error code was thrown so there are no leaks. Th suspension sits firm where it is everyday. My mechanic did mention a smoke test as one of the diagnosing tests...but that is if there is a drop in the suspension...which there is not.

FWIW...I do believe it is the compressor as well...but I am going with my guy's gut and replacing the valve first. I will post back after Thursday with the results of the valve replacement. For me to test it, I have to load the X5 with my family and go to Coscto and buy 4 cases of Vitamin Water

Joe, not to sound like a dick, but did your indy show you the part or the part number he is replacing tomorrow?

The terminology you are using for these parts is confusing. The air compressor located in the hump of your spare tire well is whats pumping fresh air into your "accumulator", which is also called an air tank for us traditional air suspension terms guys. I learned this back in the day too, because BMW calls an air tank an accumulator. Here is the picture of the "accumulator" or air tank, its located under the car towards the middle if I recall correctly:

Part 10 is the actual "accumulator" or air tank, which acts as a reservoir, when it gets low on stored air, the compressor in the trunk kicks on and fills it up. Part 1 is the "valve block" or valve unit which sends the air out to the corners.

You said your indy will replace the "accumulator valve", well will he replace part 10 or part 1, one is an "accumulator", one is a "valve block"?

I only bring up the terminology because as I noted, my error was reading as "accumulator filling requested pressure remains constant", and made no mention about issues with the compressor by how the error read out. However, my error translated to the fact that the compressor could not hold pressure and fill the air tank fast enough, it was "burned out" of spec. I was just trying to make you aware that perhaps the initial "accumulator valve malfunction" error your indy reported has a chance of being a $710 part he will replace and it might not have been the original fault. This is why I recommend running test plans in GT1 and reading what the actual BMW software says.

And just double checking the parts and pricing, part #1 Valve unit is around $330 from BMW and part #10 accumulator air tank is around $390, I'm just quoting this to try and find out what part he is replacing?

Hope this helps, we have all had air suspension issues here, and I'm just trying to pass the knowledge I have gained onward because I just hate to see money thrown away on parts without proper diagnosis of the original issue. If your height stays true and you have no leaks it literally all pointed to the compressor from the get go.
82k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Last edited by Ricky Bobby; 04-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Sponsored Links