View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 AM

cn90 is on a distinguished road
DIY: 2006 X5 3.0i Spark Plugs using NGK Iridium BKR6EIX

DIY: 2006 X5 3.0i Spark Plugs using NGK Iridium BKR6EIX

My "new" 2006 X5 3.0i with 113K still has factory spark plugs as the P.O. never replaced them. Since I have had good success with NGK Iridium BKR6EIX in my 1998 BMW 528i, I decided to use these NGK Iridium BKR6EIX spark plugs in my 2006 X5.

Car runs fine even with stock spark plugs with 113K on it. However, at 113K, it is past due, thus the spark plug change...

To read about the antiseize debate, torque values, and how much torque needed to destroy the spark plug in a junk engine test etc., see the BMW E39 threads below:

BMW E39 Spark Plugs thread (antiseize debate, torque values etc.):
Pictorial DIY for an M54 spark plug replacement on a 2002 BMW 525i E39 with 95K miles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Antiseize debate thread:
The Truth About Spark Plug Torque and Anti- Seize - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Parts/Tools:

- Local O'Reilly auto parts store sells NGK Iridium BKR6EIX for $7/each.

- Antiseize, Torque Wrench, 10-mm socket etc.

- For spark plugs tool: I no longer use the socket with rubber insert (rubber falls off, spark plugs fall off etc. I got rid of this rubber-line socket): I use the magnetic spark plugs socket made by Gear Wrench: Advance Auto Parts sells it for $15: this tool is the ticket!

- I adjust the gap of all 6 spark plugs to 0.028" (factory is 0.030"). Just make sure you don’t touch the fine Iridium tip. Or you can leave it at 0.030".

- The Plastic Cover on top of the Valve Cover: once it is off, I recommend that you leave it off. Store the cosmetic cover (with the 10-mm nuts, round cover in Ziploc bag) in your garage. With the cosmetic cover off, it is much easier to change spark plugs, monitor oil leak into spark plug hole.

Procedure:

1. For antiseize, apply the equivalent of “one drop of water”. Excessive antiseize can cause problem later.

2. Once the cosmetic cover is off, you can see the setup.

3. Label the ignition coils 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to avoid confusion (not necessary but I did it).
- Lift the plastic tab up as shown, then d/c the connector.
- Now lift the ignition coil upward, wear gloves to make it easier.
You may have to rotate the ignition coil a bit to break the bond with the spark plug.

4. During installation:

- Turn the socket by hand (no ratchet) Counter-clockwise first to prevent cross-threading. Then thread it in by hand (no ratchet) until it rotates nicely. There is a debate about torque. I use the torque between 18-20 ft*lb.

- Push the ignition coil firmly down until it is flushed with the valve cover.

- Then re-connect the connector, then snap the cover back down, it will lock the connector in place.

5. See the factory spark plug at 113K miles, it does not look too bad but it is time to go.

Car runs more smoothly with Iridium spark plugs. I will report on the fuel mileage later. Stay tuned.
Attached Images

Last edited by cn90; 06-30-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Sponsored Links