Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > Other BMWs
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
cmyX6go's Avatar
Hell on wheels....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in a black dress
Posts: 12,733
cmyX6go will become famous soon enough
Jeez Louise.....


Laura Josh
Laura Michelle

Somebody answer my clutch question already...
__________________


Current:
2016 X6 ///M Black Sapphire Metallic
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 08-16-2006, 03:16 PM
UCrewX5's Avatar
co-founder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 9,738
UCrewX5 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Bimmers in Bawlteemore, hon! Just don't spill yer Boog Powell's Barbecue all ohver the seats in yer Bee Em Dubya, hon!

Seriously, though, we should all go to Baltimore sometime so I can take you guys to Lexington Market so you can hear how they speak down there. Great crabcakes there too, and I know El Jeffe is a fan
mmmmmmm, yes I do love Maryland crab cakes
__________________

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
DINANM3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 2,350
DINANM3 is on a distinguished road
The M6 and M5 currently have no manual clutch pedal. Only SMG with its electro hydraulic clutch
__________________
Dinan M3

2006 X5 4.4i Sport Current Vehicle
2006 CLS 55 AMG Current Vehicle
2010 FORD F-450 King Ranch Current Vehicle
2012 GL 550 Current Vehicle

1999 M3 Dinan S3 SOLD
2001 M3 Dinan S2 SOLD
2002 M5 SOLD
2004 X5 4.4i sport SOLD
2007 335 XI Lease ended
2009 E92 M3 SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-16-2006, 06:16 PM
GUINNESS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: between here and there
Posts: 2,141
GUINNESS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINANM3
The M6 and M5 currently have no manual clutch pedal. Only SMG with its electro hydraulic clutch
In addition to that 7 speed F1 inpsired SMG. M5 will eventually be coming with a standard 6.


And the only thing good about the M6 is that Hans Stuck got it up to 194 MPH on the autobahn. That was friggin awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzsdSWTMug
__________________
Originally Posted by Roc3b "Great, so Gman landed a nympho with a brain! Damn him!
Guinness you lucky son of a byotch!!!!!!!!!!!"


http://www.bmwcca.org
http://www.sunbeltbmwcca.org
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
LeMansX5's Avatar
Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 20,257
LeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUINNESS
And the only thing good about the M6 is that Hans Stuck got it up to 194 MPH on the autobahn. That was friggin awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzsdSWTMug
And Hans Stuck is doing that with the 4.8is replacement prototype at the 'ring, as I write.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-16-2006, 06:28 PM
SANguru's Avatar
Scuderia Ferrari Tifosi
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,500
SANguru is on a distinguished road
but can't complete turn off DSC.. boooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUINNESS
In addition to that 7 speed F1 inpsired SMG. M5 will eventually be coming with a standard 6.


And the only thing good about the M6 is that Hans Stuck got it up to 194 MPH on the autobahn. That was friggin awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzsdSWTMug
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Kewl X5's Avatar
Chairman/Moderator/Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5 World
Posts: 4,000
Kewl X5 is on a distinguished road
The current M5/M6 has SMG III (Sequential Manual Gearbox).....There is a clutch but electro-hydraulically controlled by the SMG electronics. You have a gas pedal and brake pedal, two paddles on the steering wheel--the right paddle upshifts/left paddle down shift and central shift knob that also allows one to shift.

In the US, the E46 M3 had SMG II (6-speed, SMG). The M5/M6 has the 3rd generation SMG gearbox. In Europe, the E36 M3 had the option for the 1st generation SMG.

In the E46 M3, whether you order the traditional 6-speed manual tranny or the SMG, they both use the same 6-speed tranny. The SMG does away with the clutch pedal because you hit the paddle to upshift, the computer will control the clutch/throttle action and it does it precisely and quickly. By no means is SMG an automatic tranny....there is no torque convertor....SMG is basically a manual tranny with the clutch & shifting electronically controlled....

http://www.m3smg.com/tech_info.html

http://www.leo.nutz.de/BMW.php

I have SMG in my E46 M3.

The Ferrari and Lamborghini have similar SMG system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyX5go
I don't understand. ..no clutch?
__________________

Last edited by Kewl X5; 08-16-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
SANguru's Avatar
Scuderia Ferrari Tifosi
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,500
SANguru is on a distinguished road
ok.. I can see it now.. haha.. here's my take. The idiot is a tool. There is a clutch. Just no clutch pedal. People make the mistake of taking their foot of the gas in between shifts and also shifting under 3K. SMG is very jerky if you do either of that or a combination of both. A little practice and you can be extremely smooth. Also on the downshifts, you do need to keep foot on gas to get the FULL blip. Most of these idiots journalists don't understand that. pretty funny. If they say the acceleration of the Camaro and CTS-V is comparable, he was NOT in p500 Sport mode. Besides, with M drive, you set it and forget it. my preference, P500S, EDCII, MDM on, Active Seats on, and Drivelogic at S5. One push of button..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
This article is from Baltimore Magazine:

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
SANguru's Avatar
Scuderia Ferrari Tifosi
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,500
SANguru is on a distinguished road
have to disagree with the last statement. Both the Fcars and the Lambo's use the Magneti Marelli sequential system (or a rendition of it). It's more similar to SSG in the Z4 3.0. the MM sequential boxes do auto blips on downshifts and are much smoother as compared to the SMGII and SMGIII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl X5
The current M5/M6 has SMG III (Sequential Manual Gearbox).....There is a clutch but electro-hydraulically controlled by the SMG electronics. You have a gas pedal and brake pedal, two paddles on the steering wheel--the right paddle upshifts/left paddle down shift and central shift knob that also allows one to shift.

In the US, the E46 M3 had SMG II (6-speed, SMG). The M5/M6 has the 3rd generation SMG gearbox. In Europe, the E36 M3 had the option for the 1st generation SMG.

In the E46 M3, whether you order the traditional 6-speed manual tranny or the SMG, they both use the same 6-speed tranny. The SMG does away with the clutch pedal because you hit the paddle to upshift, the computer will control the clutch/throttle action and it does it precisely and quickly. By no means is SMG an automatic tranny....there is no torque convertor....SMG is basically a manual tranny with the clutch & shifting electronically controlled....

http://www.m3smg.com/tech_info.html

http://www.leo.nutz.de/BMW.php

I have SMG in my E46 M3.

The Ferrari and Lamborghini have similar SMG system.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Kewl X5's Avatar
Chairman/Moderator/Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5 World
Posts: 4,000
Kewl X5 is on a distinguished road
Agree with Josh re: SMG....It takes time to learn how to drive it smoothly, but once you do it is fine. Just another way of driving a stick....

I test drove the M5 with SMG last month and found it to be smoother than the M3's SMG, but really, M3 SMG is not jerky if you know how to drive it.

BTW Josh, you forgot to program your M5 to make your green tea with boba with your M-button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru
ok.. I can see it now.. haha.. here's my take. The idiot is a tool. There is a clutch. Just no clutch pedal. People make the mistake of taking their foot of the gas in between shifts and also shifting under 3K. SMG is very jerky if you do either of that or a combination of both. A little practice and you can be extremely smooth. Also on the downshifts, you do need to keep foot on gas to get the FULL blip. Most of these idiots journalists don't understand that. pretty funny. If they say the acceleration of the Camaro and CTS-V is comparable, he was NOT in p500 Sport mode. Besides, with M drive, you set it and forget it. my preference, P500S, EDCII, MDM on, Active Seats on, and Drivelogic at S5. One push of button..
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.