Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > Other BMWs
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
trueX5er's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: great white arctic north
Posts: 4,367
trueX5er is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondboinsd
God this pisses me off so much, WHAT is BMW doing? Are their designers that stupid? I don't understand why a car company that invented the Head Protection System cannot build a safe car anymore? FIRST it was the 3 convertable and now this, not to mention the new X5 isn't anything special from a safety standpoint, vehicles out since 2004 scored better then it, I just may end up with a Mercedes for the sheer fact my protection is worth the cost to maintain it
(p.s. the MB E didn't do great either, but thats no excuse)
__________________
T
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
blondboinsd's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,823
blondboinsd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueX5er
(p.s. the MB E didn't do great either, but thats no excuse)
The Benz is a very safe car thou, I also need to look at the A6, I feel when I'm spending this much money my safety DAMN WELL better be protected
__________________
The Present:
2014 Audi Q5 TDI Prestige
The Past:
2013 Lexus GS350
2013 VW Golf TDI
2007 BMW X5 4.8i LOADED & Loved
2009 VW Jetta
2008 VW Touareg VR6
2005 BMW X5 3.0i
2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
2004 BMW X5 3.0i
2003 BMW 325i
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
trueX5er's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: great white arctic north
Posts: 4,367
trueX5er is on a distinguished road
No, the E-Class only got "Acceptable" not "Good" in the side impact tests.
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=703

Top Picks for large cars are the A6, Taurus, Sable, and S80.
__________________
T
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 PM
JCL's Avatar
JCL JCL is offline
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 11,853
JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
What a non-story. Good example of the media making up reasons to sell papers.

It is a safe care, as are the others tested. To ignore all of the dynamic safety features such as DSC, ABS, etc, the entire subject of frontal impacts, and to focus only on one test run of a side impact from a sledge, in a specific location, at a specific angle, at a specific speed, and draw a conclusion out of that on vehicle safety, is ludicrous. They note that changing the seat position would impact the result. Of course it would. I am 6'4", the seat is all the way back, and the armrest is nowhere near my ribs.

This is just like the Hyundai (or whatever it was) advertisement where their new car is faster than a 525. So what?

Not sure which is worse, the IIHS publishing this test and the news release, Fox writing a story on it, or me wasting time thinking about it. Do people actually make purchase decisions on information like this?

/rant over
__________________
2007 X3 3.0si, 6 MT, Premium, White

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 AM
blondboinsd's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,823
blondboinsd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL
What a non-story. Good example of the media making up reasons to sell papers.

It is a safe care, as are the others tested. To ignore all of the dynamic safety features such as DSC, ABS, etc, the entire subject of frontal impacts, and to focus only on one test run of a side impact from a sledge, in a specific location, at a specific angle, at a specific speed, and draw a conclusion out of that on vehicle safety, is ludicrous. They note that changing the seat position would impact the result. Of course it would. I am 6'4", the seat is all the way back, and the armrest is nowhere near my ribs.

This is just like the Hyundai (or whatever it was) advertisement where their new car is faster than a 525. So what?

Not sure which is worse, the IIHS publishing this test and the news release, Fox writing a story on it, or me wasting time thinking about it. Do people actually make purchase decisions on information like this?

/rant over
YES people do, the POINT is that people spending this much money on a car that is branded and marketed as safe shouldn't have broken ribs in a marginal impact side crash, I suspect your ranting because you own a 2008 5 series and refuse to accept it is in fact not as safe as you felt it was when you bought it
__________________
The Present:
2014 Audi Q5 TDI Prestige
The Past:
2013 Lexus GS350
2013 VW Golf TDI
2007 BMW X5 4.8i LOADED & Loved
2009 VW Jetta
2008 VW Touareg VR6
2005 BMW X5 3.0i
2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
2004 BMW X5 3.0i
2003 BMW 325i
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 AM
JCL's Avatar
JCL JCL is offline
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 11,853
JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondboinsd
YES people do, the POINT is that people spending this much money on a car that is branded and marketed as safe shouldn't have broken ribs in a marginal impact side crash, I suspect your ranting because you own a 2008 5 series and refuse to accept it is in fact not as safe as you felt it was when you bought it
No, the POINT is that the car is safe in the broader sense, and this is a single data point. Picking a new car on a single report like this seems just plain silly.

I am not ranting just about the study, I am ranting about the wringing of hands and general whining posted above about whether BMW design engineers are doing their job or not. You claim that BMW doesn't build safe cars any more? Really? Over-react much?

FWIW, I don't own a 2008 E60 yet, but I will soon. The IIHS has absolutely no impact on my car-buying decision. Empirical evidence of people dying in real accidents at rates higher than the other cars listed would matter to me. How some people can feel better (or worse) about their purchase decisions because of info like this is just not something I can relate to.

I suspect you would have been a fan of Ralph Nader's Unsafe at Any Speed, and that you think Audi was negligent with their design of gas pedals as well.

Carry on.
__________________
2007 X3 3.0si, 6 MT, Premium, White

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Juanted's Avatar
Moderator/Admin/Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,686
Juanted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL
Do people actually make purchase decisions on information like this?
Yes, we do. Safety is very important to the American buyer. The car companies know this, which is why they follow (and react accordingly) to these test results; the dealers know this, which is why they post stories like these all over their walls. I garantee you that every Kia dealership will have this report plastered all over -- "Kia safer than cars costing twice as much" -- something to that effect.

The test results may be a "single data point," but it is a very respected single data point. It is also the defacto (and accepted, I might add) safety measure -- at least here in America. The last thing BMW, or any car maker for that matter, wants is to have the largest market in the world thinking that their cars are not safe.

Luxury car buyers may accept occasionally-spotty reliability or quality issues. Luxury car buyers will NOT, however, pile their kids in cars they deem unsafe. With all the choices available in the luxury market space, poor safety is the one thing buyers will not accept.

Juan
__________________
Whenever I text "Barack," my phone suggests the word "Capable." I guess my my phone IS pretty smart.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Wagner's Avatar
..make it happn' capn'
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mt. Airy, MD
Posts: 17,747
Wagner is on a distinguished road
I agree a lot with what Juan said, as far as perception an possibly sales go. However, I personally would take a car with average grade safety capabilities and outstanding handling/braking/stability control (aka AVOID the accident), then a vehicle with great safety on impact that has no ability to avoid the impact. Again all IMO.

And of course Kia and others will drum up this success (they should), as would BMW it had results saying it bashed the crap out of Audi, MB and Porsche. IMO this test is very accurate and simply comparing "crash reports" is not as there are bound to be far less luxury cars then average cars on the road, therefore changing the percentage and proportion in results.
__________________

An unwavering defender of those I see worth protecting.

"promote the general welfare, not provide the general welfare"

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago-burbs
Posts: 297
ravenheart is on a distinguished road
I would venture as far as saying that people who buy a BMW thinking they end up with the safest of all vehicles are misguided, to such an extent that it borders on ignorance.
Yes, BMW does well in crashes, but that is only because their products are expensive and that they can afford to slap on some safety features for good measure. But - that is all they do - A BMW engineer told me once that 'at BMW safety is a panicked afterthought that happens after we've built a car.'
Like - the X5 - they had the devils own time figuring out how to deploy the HPS airbags. At one point they came to the conclusion that they would use steel-wire to rip the siding on the pillars apart, until someone realised that if a head was in the way, that would be undesireable.

So - would you be safer in an audi? Probably - but - are we really buying these cars because we think they are hyper-safe? Or is safe-enough good enough to make up for the other atributes of the cars? I think so.
__________________
- Ravenheart
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
E61Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 6,175
E61Silver is an unknown quantity at this point
If BMW can engineer a car to handle well why can't engineer a very safe car?
__________________
Loving my BMW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.