Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X ///M Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Conny4.8iS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 22
Conny4.8iS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by txshriner View Post
now i know what the claims are on both vehicles and i sure aint knocking my X M. and im not in any way, shape or form saying that mine is anything resembling slow. but not using launch control(mines not broke in yet) my 750 felt just as strong. and my thought to start with was simply that 555hp should not have even been comparable in any way to my 750.
My recommendation:
Do the brake in first.
And of course the pure feeling may differ between both cars due to the different weight. The feel of 555 hp or 407 hp is mostly subjective, imho.
__________________
__________________________________________
Porsche 997 Turbo
Porsche Cayenne GTS
/// BMW X5 M
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 99
MFL101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I was under the impression that pressing the "M" button made no difference to your acceleration, but rather, simply accentuated the throttle response??

I think that if you floor the car in "M" mode, it will feel faster, but actual acceleration times will be the same, no???

That's how it works in the M3, anyway...
The M button also delivers more power from the engine, similar to the power button on the M5. It depends how you set the m button in the idrive of course. It also stiffens the suspension and allows the car to drift a bit if you push it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Rez's Avatar
Rez Rez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475
Rez is on a distinguished road
Yes
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
TTBear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 80
TTBear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL101 View Post
The M button also delivers more power from the engine, similar to the power button on the M5. It depends how you set the m button in the idrive of course. It also stiffens the suspension and allows the car to drift a bit if you push it.

No, actually.

It is true that the power button changes power settings from 400 to full (507) hp in the BMW M5, but this is NOT the case with the X5M or X6M.

I quote from the Supplementary Owner's Manual:

M Engine dynamics control/POWER
With M Engine Dynamic Control you can influence how sporty the reaction of your vehicle to accelerator pedal movements is to be. Two programs are available to you.

The "Efficient" program is activated after each engine start.

"Efficient program
In the "Efficient" program, a lower fuel consumption is achieved. The engine and the M Sport Automatic transmission respond to accelerator pedal movements with an emphasis on comfort, which is ideal in city traffic or in snow, for example.

"Sport" program
The "Sport" program permits the engine and the M Sport Automatic transmission to respond more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements. The acoustics of your BMW X5M/BMW X6M become more sporty.

_______________________


There is NO mention of increasing any horsepower. The accelerator pedal simply becomes more "sensitive" to smaller increments of pedal movement - as it was with the e46 M3, and as it is with the e9X M3. The throttle sensitivity changes - NOT the amount of power that is made available.

I tried a few 40mph to 100mph runs (closed circuit of course ) using both modes. Times were all virtually identical.
__________________
2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
(2006 Z4 M Roadster - Mary's )
(2012 X6///M )
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
txshriner's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: hearne
Posts: 32
txshriner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conny4.8iS View Post
My recommendation:
Do the brake in first.
And of course the pure feeling may differ between both cars due to the different weight. The feel of 555 hp or 407 hp is mostly subjective, imho.
the 750Li isnt as light as a feather.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Conny4.8iS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 22
Conny4.8iS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by txshriner View Post
the 750Li isnt as light as a feather.
..but the difference amounts almost 400 kg (net.weight EU standard)
__________________
__________________________________________
Porsche 997 Turbo
Porsche Cayenne GTS
/// BMW X5 M
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
HIRISC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 498
HIRISC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
No, actually.

It is true that the power button changes power settings from 400 to full (507) hp in the BMW M5, but this is NOT the case with the X5M or X6M.

I quote from the Supplementary Owner's Manual:

M Engine dynamics control/POWER
With M Engine Dynamic Control you can influence how sporty the reaction of your vehicle to accelerator pedal movements is to be. Two programs are available to you.

The "Efficient" program is activated after each engine start.

"Efficient program
In the "Efficient" program, a lower fuel consumption is achieved. The engine and the M Sport Automatic transmission respond to accelerator pedal movements with an emphasis on comfort, which is ideal in city traffic or in snow, for example.

"Sport" program
The "Sport" program permits the engine and the M Sport Automatic transmission to respond more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements. The acoustics of your BMW X5M/BMW X6M become more sporty.

_______________________


There is NO mention of increasing any horsepower. The accelerator pedal simply becomes more "sensitive" to smaller increments of pedal movement - as it was with the e46 M3, and as it is with the e9X M3. The throttle sensitivity changes - NOT the amount of power that is made available.

I tried a few 40mph to 100mph runs (closed circuit of course ) using both modes. Times were all virtually identical.
Yes you are/that is correct. No additional power from the 'M' button on the X5/X6.
__________________
Go 50i or go home
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 460
998M is on a distinguished road
True the M button does not add power. But TXShriner's post was about "feel". He thought his 750 felt faster. Pushing the M button does make the throttle more responsive and maybe feel a little faster.

Does it quicken the streering as well? Sure feels different when I push it. Maybe it is the suspension changes?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 273
///MB is on a distinguished road
WOT is exactly the same in either mode. I don't notice a change the steering response or feel.
__________________
2010 X5 M Space Grey/Silverstone
2003 4.6is Silver/Black - sold.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 AM
E53is's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: US\Deutschland
Posts: 637
E53is is on a distinguished road
Smile

My 4.6 "feels" faster than my M sometimes. There are also days where it's more fun to drive too.

__________________

____________________________________________
- 2011 BMW X5 / / / M Black Sapphire Metallic
- 2003 BMW X5 4.6is Black Sapphire Metallic
- 2003 BMW 540i Sport Black
- 2010 MV Agusta F4 Black
- 2005 srt10 Dodge Viper

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.